Please take this opportunity to read the rules and if you have any questions feel free to email us at email@example.com.
Good luck to all the contestants and we thank you for showing your support.
1) All entries and corrections must be in our office by the deadline in order to be considered for the contest. There are 1 (one) round of competition for 2015. The round starts October 1 2014 and ends July 31, 2015 - All entries MUST be received by 11:59pm Pacific time. Any entries after that time will be disqualified.
We understand mistakes can happen and will make every effort in our power to make sure the submissions you have worked hard to get to us are in proper order and in the event they are not working we will make every effort to contact you.
2) You do not need to attend the convention to enter the contest, although it is highly encouraged. There is nothing like seeing your videos played on a big screen in front of hundreds of fans and having an audience react to it accordingly.
3) There are two divisions for the contest - Amateur and Masters. Each division is split into three groups: Anime, Live Action and Machinima. Each group is split into categories: Drama & Horror, Romance & Sentimental, Action & Adventure, Fun & Dance, Comedy & Humor, Trailer & Parody
When you submit your videos you must choose which division, group and category you feel best fits your video. If it is between two categories and you are unsure then indicate whichever one you feel is the best fit – if the judging panel feels it is a mismatch for the category, we will move it to the correct category and notify you of the change.
If you have entered and placed (1st, 2nd, 3rd, Judges Award, Best In Show) at Dragon Con or any other Video Competition in the past 24 months, you should enter the Masters division.
4) For the Anime/Animation music video categories we do ask that at least 75% of your submission be Anime and Animation. You are also welcome to use anything else you feel best enhances your video and the category.
For the Live Action category you can use anything with a theme that fits into the following categories: Drama & Horror, Romance & Sentimental, Action & Adventure, Fun & Dance, Comedy & Humor, Trailer & Parody. You can pull from movies and television shows featuring Science Fiction, Fantasy, Horror, Pop Culture, etc. You can use actual film or video footage, or you may create your own footage. Clarification on using crowd footage filmed at the convention: If you choose to use crowd footage, it must be choreographed and lip synched (Example here).
For Machinima, music video categories we do ask that at least 75% of your submission be footage generated in video game environments. You are also welcome to use anything else you feel best enhances your video and the category.
5) When submitting your video, you must complete the Online Contest Entry Form. By completing this requirement completely you ensure faster processing of your video. We will be unable to look up credit information for you as there will be time constraints once reviewing and judging begins.
6) The contest is an Teen and Mature audience showing and thus no video can be played that is more than a R rating, Example: If the song can not be played on the radio without editing then it is not appropriate for all ages. Hentai is not allowed under any circumstances where genitalia are showing or censored, nor is excessive violence.
7) Once submitted to us, your submission becomes property of Wolfmont Media LLC. By submitting your videos to us you have given us permission to use your work as part of our video programming or any other programming affiliated with Dragon Con. We do not own the intellectual property rights to your work.
All judging and disqualifications are at the discretion of the judges. A submission may be disqualified for any reason.
Entry Fee: There is no fee
Entry Deadline: July 31, 2015
All submissions must be in our office by these dates. Any entries received after this time will be disqualified.
We will accept digital formats only.
Use the Contest entry form. You will provide a link to where we can download your video from COPY.COM.
ANY SUBMISSIONS COMING IN VIA ANY OTHER SERVICE WILL BE DISQUALIFIED
If we have to do any editing (converting, etc) to your entry we can’t ensure the quality – therefore, if your entry is NOT in the correct format, it will be DISQUALIFIED. In order to ensure your quality please follow the formatting rules.
All submissions should be no less than 1 minute and no more than 6 minutes in length.
We have a large library of codecs and we’ll try to work with almost anything you send us, with minor exceptions (see “What We REJECT”). However, if in doubt, please refer to the optional “What We Prefer” section for guidance.
What We Prefer
Preferred Video Resolutions
We strongly recommend submitting your video in the exact same resolution
that your source material is in, which is likely one of the following:
What We Reject
In order to ensure your quality please follow the formatting rules.
Videos must not contain any “bumpers” or other identifiers as to who edited it (see the bit about “blind judging” in the Judging section below).
Watermarking, television logos and subtitles are NOT allowed – Please use DVD video for your content. If your video has logos, or subtitles, heavy watermarking, it will greatly affect your final score. Videos must look “clean” - no watermarks, no logos, no subtitles (unless they were added by the editor for specific effect), etc.
Watermarking for upload to Video Sharing sites (like YouTube and Vimeo) is fine – upload a watermarked copy there, but send in a clean, non-watermarked video file in MP4 format for judging. Entries will be pre-screened for eligibility/appropriateness and then pre-judged in a blind judging process. (This means the judges will not know who edited what.) Watermarking, adding a Studio Title or Card or a screen bug will let the judging panel know who edited the video and will give unfair advantage/disadvantage. If received with bumpers, credits, water marks, bugs or identifying marks, your entry will be DISQUALIFED.
There will also be an Audience Favorite, which will be determined at con during/after the show. Editor/Team/Studio names will be announced during the awards. You WILL GET DUE CREDIT
7) All videos must also include Embeding code AND a sharing link from one of our approved Video Streaming Hosts. These are as follows; YouTube (Prefered) Vimeo, Veoh, Metacafe, Flickr and Photobucket. YouTube is very strict on copyrighted content, and may disable your video based on content or music used. If this happens, please try one of the other Video Streaming sites.
When uploading your video to any of these sites, make sure it is set to Allow Embeding and make sure it is accessible. With YouTube, it does NOT have to be Public – you can mark it as Unlisted – then it can still be viewed by anyone with the link.
Judging will take place during the 4 week period after the contest deadline. Entries will be pre-screened for eligibility/appropriateness and then pre-judged in a blind judging process. (This means the judges will not know who edited what.)
A panel of 12 judges will rate videos based on the following criteria:
There will be 1st, 2nd, 3rd place award for all six categories. Awards will be presented during the Fandom Music Video Awards program hosted at Dragon Con.
Grand Prize: There will be a “Best of Show” Winner. This submission will not necessarily be one which has won in one of the other categories. Contestants can choose to compete for one of the six main categories which will automatically qualify them for “Best of Show”
Only one submission per category per person is allowed. If a category does not receive at least 4 submissions then the category will be removed and the submissions will be put into the closest related category.
All rules are subject to change without notice.
If you are not present and your submission wins, Dragon Con will cover the cost to ship your awards to you.
If you need clarification on anything, please ask. You can find our FAQ here,